El Yunque Rainforest is the only tropical rainforest in the United States National Forest System and a must-stop for all Puerto Rico visitors. Come explore on an El Yunque day trip!
El Yunque Rainforest & Bio Bay Tour
- Adult Ages 13+
- Child Ages 7-12
Rainforest and Bio Bay Combo
Join us on an all-day excursion to experience two of Puerto Rico’s most well-known attractions: El Yunque Rainforest & Bioluminescence Bay Kayak Adventure!
Due to damages caused by Hurricane Maria, the most popular trails remain closed until further notice. We have adapted our tour route into an Off the Beaten Path version in order to continue offering a similar experience. Please read the complete description as the rainforest portion became a more advanced and strenuous activity and may not be suitable for everyone.
We will start our day with a visit to El Yunque Rainforest, the only tropical rain forest in the United States National Forest System and a must-stop for all visitors of Puerto Rico!
You’ll have the opportunity to:
- Hike and explore through different zones of El Yunque Rainforest.
- Take a dip in a waterfall, natural pool, and waterslides (optional).
- Hear our guide cover subjects such as natural history education, medicinal and toxic plant identification, geology, ecology, pre-Colombian history, the island’s history and many other subjects including post-hurricane updates related to the Forest and Puerto Rico in general.
- Spot native flora and fauna, many of which are not found anywhere else on the planet.
After the hike, we stop for lunch at a local restaurant (food cost not included) before heading to join a fully-guided, nighttime Bio Bay kayak adventure into the mystical mangrove channels leading to Laguna Grande.
There you will meet our glowing friends, the Pyrodinium bahamense, microscopic planktons capable of producing natural light at the touch of your hand!
Explore these amazing organisms up close as our professional eco-guides take you to discover all its secrets. Learn how this fragile and unique ecosystem maintains a perfect balance of life and what you can do to protect such a special place.
On the two-hour Bio bay kayak experience, you’ll get to:
- Learn interesting interpretations about the reserve’s fragile ecology.
- Paddle in a safe and closed environment.
- Explore these amazing planktons up close.
- Watch how every stroke of your paddle leaves behind a glowing swirl of blue light that resembles fireflies.
All tours leave from San Juan. To account for transportation, guests should allow up to 12 hours for the entire experience.
What Is Not Included?
- Gratuity for your tour guide is not included but greatly appreciated.
- Lunch after the hike to El Yunque
- Roundtrip transportation included from selected San Juan areas or most convenient meeting point based on your location. Exact pick-up time and location will be provided the day prior to the tour.
Safety Requirements and Limitations:
- Participants must be physically capable of walking through steep, rocky, muddy trails, and have the balance to walk on uneven surfaces. Must be able to paddle on a two-person kayak, on a coordinated matter, and not be afraid of the dark.
- Pregnant ladies past their first trimester, persons with previous injuries, back problems or recent surgery cannot participate on this tour.
- Children must be 7 years or older to participate.
- Wear a bathing suit and comfortable clothes. Bring a towel and an extra pair of clothing.
- Hiking and water shoes are strongly recommended; tennis shoes with a good grip also work.
- Have a good breakfast before departing on tour as we will be having a late lunch stop.
- The rainforest portion of the tour is subject to weather and river conditions. In the event of cancellation, we will offer other options, to reschedule or provide a refund.
- Due to safety reasons, participants must be able to understand English or Spanish.
- Use of lifejacket is mandatory once participating in water-related activities.
- Once you begin the rainforest tour, you must finish it all the way up to the second stop and return back with the group.
- Please travel light and only bring the necessary items on the tour. Leave behind electronic devices, any important documentation like passport, large sums of cash or credit cards. Cell phones require a waterproof case.
- The bio bay is an unpredictable natural phenomenon; bioluminoscity level will vary from day to day. The full moon phase may also affect the visibility of the bioluminescence.