El Yunque Rainforest is the only tropical rainforest in the United States National Forest System and a must-stop for all Puerto Rico visitors. Come explore on an El Yunque day trip!
El Yunque Rainforest & Bio Bay Tour
- Weight limit for kayaks is 250 lbs (113 kg) per person.
- Height will also influence, even if not reaching the weight limit.
- Failure to notify correctly may result in person(s) not being able to participate on bio bay tour.
- Adult Ages 13+
- Child Ages 7-12
El Yunque Rainforest and Bio Bay Combo Tour
Join us on an all-day excursion to experience two of Puerto Rico’s most well-known attractions: El Yunque Rainforest & Bioluminescence Bay Kayak Adventure!
We will start our day with a visit to the El Yunque Rainforest, but in a completely off the beaten path way. This is the only tropical rain forest in the United States National Forest System, and a must-stop for all visitors of Puerto Rico!
The initial hike is a 25-30 minute journey up a dirt/rock path with some river wading. This trail is surrounded by bamboo trees, rain-forest flowers, and many other beautiful plants. We will first visit a collecting pool that forms at the base of a waterfall. Here you will have the opportunity to swim on it’s crystal clear waters, and enjoy the different tones of its deep pools. A glimpse at the first waterfall, great for pictures opportunities!
The adventure finishes in a pool area, its best kept secret. After a few minutes of hiking and climbing boulders (more intense), arrive at a natural river where you can swim, swing from a rope to the river, and enjoy the natural water slides (optional, once you climb the rocks must finish it).
After the hike, we will stop for lunch at a local restaurant (food cost not included) before heading to the guided nighttime BioBay kayak adventure into the mystical mangrove channels leading to “Laguna Grande.”
There you will meet our glowing friends, the Pyrodinium Bahamense, microscopic planktons capable of producing natural light (like fireflies) at the touch of your hand!
On the 1.5-2-hour Bio bay kayak experience, you’ll get to:
• Learn interesting interpretations about the reserve’s fragile ecology
• Paddle in a safe and closed environment
• Explore these amazing planktons up close
Be prepared for this tour!
Safety Requirements and Limitations:
• Maximum weight to participate is 250 lbs (113 kg) per person. No Exceptions.
• Pregnant ladies, persons with previous injuries, back problems or recent surgery cannot participate
• Children must be 7 years or older to participate.
• Participants must be physically capable of walking thru steep, rocky, muddy trails, and have the balance to walk by uneven surfaces. Must be able to paddle on a two-person kayak, on a coordinated matter, and not be afraid of the dark.
What Is Not Included?
- Gratuity for your tour guide is not included but greatly appreciated.
- Lunch after the hike to El Yunque is not included.
- Roundtrip transportation included from selected San Juan areas or most convenient meeting point based on your location. Exact pick-up time and location will be provided the day prior to the tour.
- Due to the strict weight restriction all participants are subject to be weighted. No cancellations or refunds will be issued if a person neglects to inform correct weight, and is not able to participate of the tour.
- Wear a bathing suit and comfortable clothes. Bring a towel and an extra pair of clothing.
- Hiking shoes and water shoes are strongly recommended
Tennis with a good grip also work for the rainforest portion (only closed toe shoes).
Water shoes (sandals with straps or flip flops required for Bio Bay- cannot be barefoot).
- Must have a good breakfast before departing on tour as we will be having a late lunch stop.
- The Rainforest portion of the tour is subject to weather and river conditions. In the event of cancellation, we will offer other options, to reschedule or provide refund.
- Due to safety reasons participants must be able to understand English or Spanish. Legally blind or deaf persons are not able to participate due to the same. An alternative for persons with certain limitations is to book a Private Rainforest tour. Please contact us prior to booking for more information.
- Use of lifejacket and helmet is mandatory.
- Please travel light and only bring the necessary to the tour. Leave behind electronic devices, any important documentation or large sums of cash. There are no locker facilities, everything stays on the bus. Cell phones require waterproof case.
- The bio bay is an unpredictable natural phenomenon, bioluminoscity level will vary from day to day. Full Moon phase may also affect the visibility of the bioluminescence.
- All tours depart from San Juan. To account for transportation and lunch stop guests should allow up to 12 hours for the entire experience (4-4.5 hours driving combined time, 3.5-4 hours at the forest, 2 hrs at bio bay and 1-1.5 hrs lunch stop) .
- Published starting time is only an estimate. Exact pick up time will be provided the DAY PRIOR to your tour.