You don’t want to miss this bioluminescent bay tour in Puerto Rico! Join this fully-guided, nighttime kayak adventure for one of the most amazing trips of your life!
La Parguera Bio Bay Boat Tour
- Adult Ages 13+
- Child Ages 3-12
See Bioluminescence on a La Parguera Boat Tour
We offer nightly excursions aboard the powered double pontoon boat through the amazing glowing waters of La Parguera in Lajas.
Once we arrive at this fisherman village that has become very popular during the past years, we will stop for an appetizer.
We then head out on the boat where we will cruise around floating homes and make an initial stop to visit a cay. Here you will have the opportunity to swim in its pristine waters and watch the sunset.
Once it gets dark, we will move to another area where you will be able to experience the bioluminescence first hand. Our bilingual guides will explain the fragile ecology of the plants and animals of the bay, give interpretive star lectures, and then park the boat in an area of high bioluminescent concentration, giving visitors the chance to view the millions of glowing creatures.
We are going to have time to swim in the bio bay too!
- In order to preserve and create less impact on this ecosystem, if you plan to swim we suggest avoiding chemicals such as perfume, hair gel or spray, and mosquito repellent (use an organic one!). Rash-guards are also recommended during jellyfish season.
- Children must weight 50 lbs or more in order to participate in the tour and we must be notified in order to assign a car seat. Car seats are complimentary and subject to availability.
- Minimum of 4 participants required in order to operate.
- All tours leave from San Juan. To account for transportation, guests should allow up to 8.5 hours for the entire experience.
Please check the moon watch calendar for the best dates to visit the bay.
Why does the water glow?
This unique bay contains up to 720,000 single-celled bioluminescent dinoflagellates per gallon of water. These half-plant, half-animal organisms emit a flash of bluish light when agitated at night. The high concentration of these creatures (Pyrodimium bahamense) can create enough light to read a book.
We are dedicated to creating awareness for this rare and endangered bioluminescent bay on our La Parguera boat tours.
What Is Not Included?
- Gratuity for your tour guide is not included, but greatly appreciated.
- *Additional food and beverage costs
- Roundtrip transportation included from selected San Juan areas or most convenient meeting point based on your location. Exact pick-up time and location will be provided the day prior to the tour.