Don’t miss this once-in-a-lifetime experience in Puerto Rico! Kayak the Laguna Grande bio bay and see the bioluminescence up close and personal.
Bioluminescent Bay Glass-Bottom Kayak Tour
- Weight limit for glass-bottom kayaks is 185-190 lbs (84-86 kg) per person.
- Height will also influence, even if not reaching the weight limit.
- Any participant weighing 190-260 lbs must notify us upon booking so we may assign a regular kayak instead.
- Failure to notify correctly may result in person(s) not being able to participate on bio bay tour. Regular kayaks are very limited.
- BioBay Kayak Tour Price includes pick up in San Juan locations
Puerto Rico Bioluminescent Bay Tour
This is one adventure not to be missed while in Puerto Rico! Join this fully-guided nighttime Bio Bay kayak adventure for one of the most amazing excursions of your life. Paddle your way through the mystical mangrove channels leading to Laguna Grande.
There you will meet our glowing friends, the Pyrodinium Bahamense, microscopic planktons capable of producing natural light at the touch of your hand! Explore these amazing organisms up close as our professional eco guides take you to discover all their secrets.
Learn how this fragile and unique ecosystem maintains a perfect balance of life and what you can do to protect such a special place.
On this two-hour Bio Bay kayak experience, you’ll get to:
- Learn interesting interpretations about the reserve’s fragile ecology.
- Paddle in a safe and closed environment.
- Explore these amazing planktons up close.
- Watch how every stroke of your paddle leaves behind a glowing swirl of blue light and fish light up their path like shooting stars in the water.
- See how the water comes alive with millions of glowing planktons that must be seen to be believed!
- This tour departs from San Juan. Pick-up at other towns available at an additional cost. To account for transportation, participants should allow up to 5 hours for the entire experience.
- The Bio Bay is an unpredictable natural phenomenon that may be influenced by multiple factors. Bioluminoscity level can vary from very visible to minimum or none without any previous notice. The full moon phase may also affect the visibility of the bioluminescence. In the event of this happening, alternate methods such as the use of a tarp will be incorporated in order to appreciate it.
Safety Requirements and Limitations:
- Participants must be physically capable of paddling a two-person kayak, in a coordinated matter, and not be afraid of the dark.
- Pregnant ladies past their first trimester, persons with previous injuries, back problems or recent surgery cannot participate on this tour.
- Children must be 7 years or older to participate.
What Is Not Included?
- Gratuity for your tour guide is not included, but greatly appreciated.
- Roundtrip transportation included from selected San Juan areas or most convenient meeting point based on your location. Exact pick-up time and location will be provided the day prior to the tour.