Discover heaven on earth at the island of Vieques! Bathe in the crystal clear water, go snorkeling to see marine life, and walk on one of Puerto Rico’s famous beaches.
Puerto Rico Bioluminescent Bay Kayak Tour
- BioBay Kayak Tour Ages 7+
Tour Puerto Rico’s Bioluminescent Bay
This is an adventure not to be missed while in Puerto Rico! Join this fully guided night trip to see one of the most amazing natural phenomena of the world!
Paddle your way through the mystical mangrove channels leading to Laguna Grande. There, you will meet our glowing friends, the Pyrodinium bahamense, a microscopic plankton capable of producing natural light at the touch of your hand!
Explore these amazing organisms up close as our professional eco guides take you to discover all the secrets of the bay. Learn how this fragile and unique ecosystem maintains a perfect balance of life, and what you can do to protect such a special place.
Our famous two-hour bio bay kayak tour includes interesting interpretations about the reserve’s fragile ecology, star constellations, and a fascinating encounter with billions of bioluminescent organisms.
Watch how every stroke of your paddle leaves behind a glowing swirl of blue light and fish light up their path like shooting stars in the water. The adventure to Laguna Grande can only be described as magical, creating memories that will last a lifetime!
The Bio Bay Adventure tour is one of Puerto Rico’s most popular. There are four things that our guests need to take into consideration:
- In order to best appreciate the bioluminescent phenomena, our tours run at sunset and early evening and it can get quite dark in the mangrove canal. So, if you are afraid of darkness, a first-time kayaker, or have small kids, we strongly suggest taking the earlier, sunset trip. This way you can see where you are going, get used to the environment and sharpen your kayaking skills.
- Maximum weight is 260 pounds per person, please make sure to provide exact weight upon booking in order for us to assign the proper kayak.
- Due to immense popularity, the bay can at times get crowded. It’s not uncommon to meet up with other tour groups waiting to access the canal leading to the lagoon. There can be bumping other kayaks along the way. When crowded conditions warrant, Pure Adventure will provide extra guides for your safety.
- Please keep in mind that this tour takes place in a natural environment and that the bioluminescent phenomenon, although rare, can be seen year-round. The intensity of brightness is unpredictable and can vary. ENJOY THE SHOW!
- Roundtrip transportation included from selected San Juan areas or most convenient meeting point based on your location. Exact pick-up time and location will be provided the day prior to the tour.